Who we are:
We are the fitness company born from gaming. And we're on a mission to make more people, more active, more often. We make an at home training game that connects cyclists and runners with each other around the world. Launched from the sunny beaches of Long Beach, CA with offices in NYC and London, the Zwift community is active in 195 countries (yup - more countries than the United Nations) and growing. We do also have a team down in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and that is where this role would sit. We're endlessly positive, relentlessly inventive, and always looking to improve… wanna join?
The Zwift server platforms run on heterogeneous and distributed cluster stacks composed of several different layers and nodes that require a number of different technologies that run 24/7 for the international user community. We are constantly modifying the software and improving its core frameworks to accommodate the increased load that comes with the steady growth of our successful business. All changes must happen with no disruption to the service, and the development and delivery of the core framework requires coordination between the Game, Web, Mobile, Server Engineering, Quality Assurance and Product teams.
Who we're looking for:
The Software Engineering Manager is responsible for coordinating and maintaining the development and delivery plans for our core platform components working with a high performance technical team distributed between the Rio de Janeiro and Long Beach offices.
You’ll be responsible for your team’s code quality and speedy delivery and for enforcing engineering best practices like unit testing, TDD, code readability and scalability. You’ll also be responsible for growing your team, both through hiring as well as mentoring of the more junior engineers. When needed, you might also need to jump in and write code yourself.
What we're looking for:
- BS in Computer Science or Relevant Technical Area with proven software engineering experience working with distributed systems and AWS cloud;
- 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 3+ years of relevant management experience
- Proven experience leading agile teams using XP and modern agile methodologies like Scrum and Kanban;
- Build realistic project plans, align across teams with respect to deliverables, proactively identify risks and develop mitigation plans;
- Define and drive key success metrics and communicate progress to executive stakeholders;
- Strong communication skills;
- Advanced knowledge in Computer Science, Data Structures, Algorithms and overall Software Design;
- Advanced programming skills in high-level Programming Languages such as C, C++, Java, Python or Ruby;
- Significant experience with Unix/Linux shell scripting and tools like grep, awk, sed, curl and higher-level scripting languages such as Ruby or Python;
- Significant experience using Cloud-Based Environments and AWS;
- Experience with TDD, Integration Tests, Continuous Integration, etc;
- Good understanding of cryptography concepts and OpenSSL usage;
- Significant Experience with RDBMS and NoSQL Database Systems;
- Experience with Docker containers
- Availability to travel.
- Enthusiasm for cycling and/or running;
- MSc or PhD in Computer Science or Relevant Technical Area. Alternatively, 10+ years of professional experience;
- Experience on Database Design;
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams.
- PostgreSQL/Oracle Experience
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Redis, ActiveMQ and Kafka experience
Top 5 Reasons We Think You'll Love It Here:
- Great employee bike program
- Awesome team of diverse individuals that love what they do
- First class technical team, always ready to share their experience
- Relaxed atmosphere in Leblon, Rio de Janeiro, with monthly happy hours for the local startup community :-)
- Did we mention that we ride bikes at work?
Zwift, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply now