As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be working on developing best in class software products for our travel marketplace. Currently, we are in a strong growth phase and are working on building world-class travel e-commerce products to help us scale and serve millions of customers. If you are interested in contributing to the success of a web platform that is used by millions of travelers around the world then keep on reading!
Search & Discovery owns the Search customer journey and its systems of GetYourGuide. We build reliable and highly scalable systems with the goal of enabling our customers to find the activities they love.
We are organized as a cross-functional team composed of frontend, backend, and data engineers, along with product managers and designers.
- Design and develop scalable travel e-commerce systems that are used by millions of customers.
- Build and maintain our core search engine powering a large number of use cases
- Mentor other team members and be involved in hiring software engineers
- Work in a cross-functional mission team with engineers, product managers, designers and data specialists
- Continuously improve our codebase, systems, and processes
- A passion for building scalable, resilient, service-oriented architectures, and a good understanding of design patterns
- Proficiency in Java and experience building features from scratch
- Elasticsearch (or Solr/Lucene) experience
- Passion for solving real customer problems and the ability to use data to inform decisions
- A positive, pro-active team-oriented mindset, and a passion for mentoring and sharing knowledge
- A passion for delivering clean code and continuously learning about new tools, languages, and practices
- Ownership Mindset: You build it, you run it.
- Experience in migrating a monolithic application to a services-oriented architecture
- Experience with building event-based architectures based on Kafka
- Prior experience working in Search and Discovery domain
- Experience working with Spring Boot or similar Java frameworks
- Experience deploying to Kubernetes and a strong cloud DevOps/Infrastructure mindset
- A modern infrastructure (AWS, Kubernetes, Istio, Kafka) and a good DevOps mentality (you build it you own it)
- Solid engineering principles. Check them out here
- To work on creating memorable travel experiences for millions of travelers. Find out more about our KPIs here
- Smart and engaged co-workers. Take a look at our team video
- An English-speaking office that champions diversity, with people from 60+ nationalities
- Monthly Hackathons and weekly tech talks
- You can also take a look at our Tech Radar for an insight into our stack.
It is our commitment that every qualified person will be evaluated according to skills regardless of age, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability status, or religion. Please refrain from including your picture and age with the application.