We are looking for a Manager to lead our engagement and understanding of the regulatory environment impacting the business. This role is within the Second Line Risk & Compliance function and will report directly into the Regulatory Compliance Senior Manager. The role itself will be based in Edinburgh.
Modulr has a strong team with extensive experience in payments, so you will have a chance to learn from some experts with a real passion for developing the business. The role requires a forward-thinking individual who can also recognise the value of finding innovative but robust ways of embedding a strong compliance culture that enables the business to continue to evolve and grow in a safe and sustainable way.
Modulr is a fintech scale-up that’s breaking new ground within the business payments sector – which moves $130trn annually. And businesses are no longer tolerating the slow, inefficient and costly infrastructure provided by legacy institutions. Modulr develops cutting-edge API-first services to enable modern business to eliminate historic hidden inefficiencies and build fast-to-market products on top of our award-winning payments platform.
Modulr was one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Startups to work for in the UK (2019) and was more recently recognised as a 2020 UK Best Workplace in May, 2020.
We were awarded £10 million from the BCR Fund to further develop our innovative product
- Four years old, we have offices in London, Edinburgh and Dublin
- We have processed over 70 million transactions with a value of £50 billion of business payments to date
- We are multi-award winning and want to keep creating a world class product
About you and the role
- You have an active and demonstrable interest in regulation and how to build a strategy for a growing business to develop its understanding of regulations. We are particularly interested in candidates with this experience in e-money/payments.
- Strong communication and influencing skills representing Modulr at industry forums and working closely with colleagues across the business to co-ordinate effort.
- Leadership experience, with a focus on delivering through others and being able to influence people not under your reporting structure.
- Strong research and analytical capability – taking a structured approach to translate research into actionable insights in line with the business’s needs.
- You’re excited about the prospect of taking ownership of our regulatory strategy and being proactive to ensure that it continues to evolve in line with business growth.
- You’re structured and organised, able to handle the competing pressures of immediate tasks alongside longer term projects.
- You’re comfortable working in an early-stage business, where time is critical, and things change frequently.
- You enjoy self-leading and working independently in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- You enjoy sharing your knowledge and sharing your ideas about how we can improve.
- You’ve a strong and demonstrable interest in FinTech and Payments/E-Money regulation.
- Map out the regulatory and external engagement opportunities. While the primary focus will be the UK, the scope of the role will include other jurisdictions in line with business growth and will require proactive collaboration with our Europe business.
- Maintain and enhance Modulr’s approach to industry engagement, to maximise the opportunities to gain insight into regulatory changes impacting our business and communicate them effectively.
- Undertake additional research and analysis to assess the specific impact of regulatory changes on Modulr, identifying clear actions, and overseeing their completion to ensure that Modulr continues maintain its legal and regulatory compliance, for example, updates to Modulr’s policy and risk frameworks.
- Develop a structured approach to prioritise and co-ordinate Modulr’s responses to regulatory consultations, ensuring that Modulr’s strategic interests are represented appropriately and that Modulr influences the wider payments industry for the benefit of our customer base.
- Develop deep expertise in how Modulr’s regulatory position aligns with commercial and product opportunities, becoming the ‘go-to’ person for ad hoc queries. Maintain an in-depth understanding and records of the background and rationale to decisions we have taken, ensuring a consistent position is maintained as the business evolves.
- Undertake more targeted assessments of regulatory risks and their impact on new customers/products or sectors – this could include developing our understanding of new jurisdictions. Provide regulatory insights to support business growth and innovation.
- Contribute to the wider Second Line Risk and Compliance Team activities as required, such as regulatory reporting; championing an appropriate risk and compliance culture and providing high quality management and Board-level updates.
Skills and experience
- A strong background in regulations and policy with an interest in designing horizon scanning and engagement strategies.
- Great people and engagement skills recognising the importance of developing strong internal and external stakeholder relationships to achieve results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to enable the provision of a clear assessment and supporting briefings on regulation and how they affect the business.
In addition to a market leading salary we offer the following benefits:
Modulr offer highly competitive salary and benefits packages; our employees enjoy the benefits of flexible working. The office is modern, with lots of natural light and has break out areas. Importantly, our work is challenging and interesting, you will gain valuable experience in a rapidly scaling business at an important phase of growth while contributing to our collaborative culture.
- Flexible benefits
- 34 days holiday
- Training allowance
- Opportunities for career development
- Flexible working