Dealing with death — losing a parent or a best friend — is the hardest thing most people ever go through. People want to do right by the person who died, but for too long the industry hasn’t done enough to help. Instead of helping people find the kindness, love and connection in death, dealing with death is a dreary affair with top hats, paperwork, and bureaucracy.
We believe it’s time for a change. At Farewill we build the best products in the world for dealing with death. Beautifully designed, easy to use, built for taking care of the people you love.
As our Head of Comms & PR, you’ll catalyse change in societal beliefs & behaviours around death, putting Farewill at the heart of that cultural shift and conversation. You’ll build our reputation through the next stage of our growth, and propel us forward on our mission: to change the way the world deals with death.
- One of the fastest growing startups in the UK, in the last 12 months we’ve:
- averaged an NPS of 82
- hit 8,500 Trustpilot reviews at 4.9/5
- grown from 50 to 125 people
- grown revenue 800%
- closed our £20m Series B
- won major National Awards (Consumer Business of the Year, Economic Innovator of the Year, Employer of the Year to name a few)
- raised over £350m for charity.
About the role
This is an incredible opportunity to lead our PR & Comms strategy and execution. You’ll inspire a team of PR specialists, in-house creatives and agencies, rolling your sleeves up to deliver ambitious consumer campaigns and support a dominant, hawkish, press office. If you have a vision for brilliant PR & Comms leadership as we scale from a UK challenger to a category defining brand, we’d love to hear it.
As Head of PR & Comms, in the next 12 months you will:
- deliver bold, category-first consumer PR campaigns, working closely with our award-winning PR agency (The Romans), our PR Manager and in-house creatives
- collaboratively build conviction in our PR strategy to hit consumer and corporate PR success metrics, measurably leading the conversation around death in the UK
- advise our Exec and Leadership team to deliver excellence in external communications
- lead, manage, coach and support your team and 3rd parties, like our PR agency
- collaborate with marketing and product to measurably build the world’s first brand in death - we’re committed to building a brand that transforms death forever
- own & develop the communications operating model - the processes, tools and rhythm to enable your teams to achieve great things
- build and inspire a world-class marketing organisation alongside Catherine (Head of Performance Marketing), Emily (Content Lead) and Lottie (Creative Lead)
- as a member of our Leadership Team you’ll also play a defining role influencing company strategy, culture, and our overall success as a business
We’re looking for:
- a pragmatic strategist with a keen eye for brilliant execution on consumer PR
- relentless focus on results and ROI - you have big ambitions & a startup mindset
- a dynamic leader to build conviction in PR as part of a coherent marketing strategy
- a brilliant communicator - you’re a storyteller who adapts to your audience
- the toolkit to craft and protect the reputation of a growing company
Not requirements, but nice to haves:
- experience working with difficult and sensitive subject matters
- experience as part of a marketing organisation in a high-growth startup
If this sounds like it’s what you’d love to do and matches your experience, we can’t wait to hear from you! If you’re unsure whether you fit our criteria exactly, please get in touch anyway - we care just as much about capability and attitude. Applications close on 28th May.
What we offer in return:
- Competitive salary and generous stock options.
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays.
- Flexible working including when you start & end your day, and how often you come into the office.*
- Personal development budget of 3 days and £1000 per year.
- Regular ‘passion talks’ and a range of team socials.
- Santander cycles membership.
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths.
- And much more!
*Currently our lovely office in Haggerston is available if people want — and only if they want. Previously, we had work from home Wednesdays, however, our current plan is to move to a mix of office-based and remote working.
At Farewill, our mission is to change the way the world deals with death - to make it simple, personal, fairly-priced & accessible to everyone.
To do that, we want to build a workplace that’s great for everyone, that celebrates diversity in all its forms, and where everyone who works for us feels like they can be themselves, bring their whole selves to work, and be treated fairly, equitably and respectfully.
We believe flexibility is important, so we’re happy to chat to you about flexible/remote working options. And, If you need any flexibility or adjustments in our interview process - to help set you up for success - then please let us know too.