Modulr is looking for an ambitious and hands on Engineer Director to join the team and drive our delivery function forward. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly scaling payments business and be instrumental in accelerating our growth. Working across Technology, Product and the broader business, focusing on three core areas; growth of business revenue by helping drive a first class delivery function.
- Modulr ranked 18 on LinkedIn’s 2019 Top Startups List in UK
- Named an official Best Workplace by Great Places to Work in 2020
- Ranked as the second fastest growing tech company in the UK by Dun & Bradstreet
- Awarded £10 million from the BCR Fund to further develop our innovative product.
- Recently received £9m in funding from PayPal Ventures
- Five years old, Modulr has offices in London, Edinburgh, Dublin and Amsterdam.
- We have processed over 80m transactions to date with a value in excess of £50 billion of business payments.
- We are multi-award winning and want to keep creating a world class product.
- Most recently won ‘Best Initiative from an SME’ category at the Card and Payments Awards.
Modulr is a fintech scale-up that is breaking new ground within the payments sector. We are in a digital age when businesses need to move money 24/7 instead of operating within regular banking hours. Companies are under mounting pressure to manage their cashflow, control their costs, comply with regulations and handle complex supplier, customer and employment payment arrangements. Modulr develops cutting-edge API-first solutions that enable businesses to overcome these challenges and take control of their money.
The key tasks of your role will include:
- Line management responsibility of at least one Engineering Manager and provide support for several cross-functional delivery squads. Ensuring regular 1:1, appraisals, promotions are managed appropriately within squad.
- Strategic responsibility for planning and defining platform capabilities on an annual and quarterly basis which includes defining OKR’s and Tribe Roadmaps.
- Working with appropriate teams within company to ensure that there is on-time delivery, number of releases, whilst aware of the revenue per delivery and running costs.
- Collaborate with broader Technical teams to ensure that Modulr design best practice engineering methods, automation and constantly drive the team to look for process improvements.
- Drive high standards of service delivery within teams and whilst maintaining ownership of governance and standards.
- Work with colleagues to help resolve customer issues and look for opportunities to support existing customers.
- Manage internal Senior stakeholders, including regular opportunities to present to the Leadership team and board members on topics such as Business reviews.
- Resource planning at the Tribe level including recruitment planning and execution, internal mobility and career development opportunities for squad.
- A subject matter expert in your area, and present plans and insights to the wider audience at Modulr, represent Modulr at industry events, and relevant industry working groups.
About You: To join us as a Director of Engineering, you’ll need:
- In depth experience in a Technology function within a Fintech environment.
- Experience working in a scale up environment an advantage.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, and a track-record of using data to make decisions, and get a buzz out of solving problems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. You communicate clearly and effectively, while tailoring your approach to your audience, which will range from individuals across the business to presenting at the Modulr Leadership Team.
- An excellent manager, you are empathetic and can create a collaborative and productive environment where your team can do their best work. With experience managing large teams and other line managers.
- You focused on outcomes, with a strong bias for execution. You are comfortable “showing” rather than “telling” your team on how to get things done.
- You thrive in a rapidly changing environment and are excited about the the prospect of taking ownership of new and existing products and setting out the best way to deliver their goals in a rapidly changing market.
- You are comfortable with holding hypotheses loosely until they’ve been validated. You are not afraid to change tack based on data.
- You are excited about leading and working with high-performing teams, pitching in where your inputs will have the most impact and equally comfortable to lead or contribute.
- You have strong presentation skills, as comfortable engaging with customers as with the Modulr leadership team.
- You are structured and organised, able to handle the competing long term demands of strategic initiatives and urgent short-term tasks.
In addition to a market leading salary, we offer the following benefits:
Modulr offers highly competitive salary and benefits packages; our employees enjoy the benefits of flexible working. The office is modern, with lots of natural light and has break out areas. Importantly, our work is challenging and interesting, you will gain valuable experience in a rapidly scaling business at an important phase of growth while contributing to our collaborative culture.
- Flexible benefits
- 34 days holiday
- Training allowance
- Opportunities for career development
- Flexible working