As Director of Technology you will be responsible for leading several teams that drive product delivery and provide support to the rest of the organisation. The role includes line management responsibility for the Architecture, Infrastructure & DevOps, QA, SysAdmin, and IT Security teams. As a hands-on and inspiring leader, your primary mission is to make Modulr a world-class technology company across all the disciplines you manage. You will ensure we hire and retain top talent, identify and build the capabilities needed across all your areas, and implement an efficient, customer-centric operating model. As an excellent people manager, you will lead by example and create a driven, collaborative and inspiring environment where your team can do their best work.
- Modulr ranked 18 on LinkedIn’s 2019 Top Startups List in UK
- Named an official Best Workplace by Great Places to Work in 2020
- Ranked as the second fastest growing tech company in the UK by Dun & Bradstreet
- Awarded £10 million from the BCR Fund to further develop our innovative product.
- Recently received £9m in funding from PayPal Ventures
- Five years old, Modulr has offices in London, Edinburgh, Dublin and Amsterdam.
- We have processed over 80m transactions to date with a value in excess of £50 billion of business payments.
- We are multi-award winning and want to keep creating a world class product.
- Most recently won ‘Best Initiative from an SME’ category at the Card and Payments Awards.
Modulr is a fintech scale-up that is breaking new ground within the payments sector. We are in a digital age when businesses need to move money 24/7 instead of operating within regular banking hours. Companies are under mounting pressure to manage their cashflow, control their costs, comply with regulations and handle complex supplier, customer and employment payment arrangements. Modulr develops cutting-edge API-first solutions that enable businesses to overcome these challenges and take control of their money.
The key tasks of your role will include:
- Provide hands-on and quality leadership to our technology function. This includes line management responsibility to several teams: Architecture, Infrastructure & DevOps, QA, SysAdmin and IT Security
- Build a collaborative and positive engineering culture, ensuring that regular 1:1s, appraisals and promotions and manages appropriately across the teams
- Strategic responsibility for planning and defining the capabilities we need on an annual and quarterly basis. Ensuring plans are acted upon either through the Tribe/Squad roadmaps and OKRs or by each team
- In collaboration with the broader engineering team, define and implement best-practice engineering methods, process improvements and automation, with a particular focus on platform health, resiliency, security and scalability
- Own the governance and drive high standards of service within teams
- Manage internal stakeholders, including regular opportunities to present to the leadership and Board members
- Collaborate with the Engineering Directors across all tribes, and ensure your teams are working effectively within and across all squads
- Operate as a subject matter expert in your area, presenting plans and insights to the wider audience at Modulr, representing the company at industry and recruitment events, and participating in industry working groups.
- Provide high quality resource and succession planning for your area. This includes attracting high quality technology talent to Modulr, managing internal mobility and providing career development opportunities to all individuals across your teams.
About You: To join us as a Director of Technology, you’ll need:
- Impactful, innovative and collaborative Technology leader, ideally with experience within the Payments or high-transactional environment
- You possess a positive attitude and energy for working in a fast growth/scaling business environment
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, with a track-record of using data in decision-making
- An intellectually curious individual who thrives on problem-solving
- Excellent interpersonal skills. A clear and impactful communicator who can easily adapt their approach to a diverse audience, whether that’s within Modulr or to customers
- A superb manager with a high degree of empathy that supports the creation of a collaborative and productive environment where the teams are able to do their best work
- A strong bias for execution, focused on outcomes. You will be comfortable “showing” rather than “telling” your teams how things are done to an extremely high standard
- Dynamic in style and approach. You are able to thrive in a changing environment and able to set out the best way to deliver on goals in a rapidly evolving market
- Comfortable with holding hypotheses loosely until they’ve been validated. Not afraid to change direction based on data
- Structured and organised, able to handle the competing long-term demands of strategic initiatives and urgent short-term tasks.
In addition to a market leading salary, we offer the following benefits:
Modulr offers highly competitive salary and benefits packages; our employees enjoy the benefits of flexible working. The office is modern, with lots of natural light and has break out areas. Importantly, our work is challenging and interesting, you will gain valuable experience in a rapidly scaling business at an important phase of growth while contributing to our collaborative culture.
- Flexible benefits
- 34 days holiday
- Training allowance
- Opportunities for career development
- Flexible working