Alkemics is a B2B business platform enabling retailers to discover, negotiate and launch new products from their 1000+ suppliers.
In Europe alone, millions of products are launched every year, each with up to 500 attributes and made by one of 300,000+ manufacturers. Prior to Alkemics, establishing a commercial relationship required numerous back-and-forths between retailers and brands, physically (in trade shows, for instance) or pseudo-digitally (fax, email, XLS templates...) and between various teams (procurement, category management, quality, CSR, e-commerce, marketing...). Because of this painful process, it often took more than 60 days to launch a product. This situation is unsustainable at a time where consumers are demanding a broader product choice, more local products, where Amazon and Alibaba are raising the bar of omnichannel efficiency, and at a time where Lidl and Aldi are setting a standard for productivity.
Alkemics disrupted the space with a fully digital platform where brands create and share their product catalog. Retailers can explore those catalogs and run business workflows, searches or reportings to select, negotiate and list those products in their assortment. Once a retailer is on-boarded, invites are sent to that retailer’s suppliers to join the platform on a freemium basis, enabling quick network growth.
Alkemics was founded in Paris in 2012. With 98 out of the top 100 CPG manufacturers (Nestlé, Unilever, L’Oréal), the 7 largest retailers in France (E. Leclerc, Carrefour, Casino, Auchan, U-Enseigne, Cora, Metro…) and 4 of the largest UK retailers (Tesco, Ocado, Waitrose, Sainsbury) using the platform, Alkemics now holds a very strong and unchallenged position in the French and UK market. The business is now expanding internationally, starting with DACH and BENELUX. Along with international growth, the focus of the business is to leverage its platform and client relationships to build an end-to-end B2B marketplace with the ultimate vision of ordering directly within the platform.
Alkemics raised a total of $50M from tier-1 investors Index Ventures, Partech Ventures, Serena Capital and Cathay Innovation. Its latest funding round took place in April 2020, bringing in Highland Europe, a leading Growth VC. The business is made of 100 employees and is growing extremely rapidly.
Online marketplaces are now commonplace for C2C and B2C markets. This trend has started in B2B sectors too, driving tremendous value and economies of scale. Today, thanks to a captive user base, Alkemics is in a strong position to “platformize” the notoriously difficult retail space. Brands are keen to have their products discovered in a more efficient and elegant way. Retailers are interested in negotiating products more quickly. Brands also want to better control the product introductions within each store.
Pre-Sales are the functional and technical glue of an enterprise software sale. They act as the sales team's functional and technical encyclopedia during the sale, representing the technical aspects of how the product solves specific customer problems. Additionally, they have to ensure that the solution’s value propositions are highlighted in the entire sales cycle.
- Drive the technical and functional evaluation stage of the overall sales process by providing technical and functional support to prospective clients and customers
- Act as trusted advisor to prospects and customers in the functional and technical design and development of their end-to-end solution / business processes
- Develop and deliver high quality presentations and Alkemics product demonstrations, in alignment with the commonly defined sales strategy
- Work very closely with the product management and sales teams, and serve as a product advocate in front of prospects and customers
- Collaboratively conduct cost-benefit analyses with the prospects / clients
- Secure evaluation process win by differentiating against competition and providing closure
- Take the lead on RFI / RFP processes, design the tender strategy with the Lead Sales and provide replies in French and English (both: independently and in coordination with members across various streams of business operations)
- Generate and maintain sales collaterals for our solutions portfolio. Tailor them to prospects.
- Ensure a smooth handover of each client to the Product Managers and the Implementation Manager for the Integration phase.