To reimagine technology to transform analytical decision-making, helping our customers make smarter decisions faster.
Who we are
The most interesting scaleup you haven’t yet heard of! Our product, Renew, lets users build and iterate complex mathematical models with the small, sparse and fragmented datasets that are used to drive critical decisions in many businesses. Such models are used to help answer questions like:
This sort of analysis has recently been neglected in favour of big data/analytics, but we are on a mission to change this. Our product has applications across multiple industries – we are focusing on speciality insurance to start with, but we believe our software has far further reach (including beyond the financial sector).
What will you do?
2022 is going to be a big year for hx. Our profile is growing rapidly, and our customer base with it. We have tonnes of exciting features to develop, and we want to deliver more of them in parallel, sooner, safer, than we've ever done before. To make sure we're set for the future we're going to be looking at all our systems, refreshing most of them and reworking the rest to get us ready for anything.
It's a deeply exciting prospect for us, and you could be part of it!
As a Senior Engineer you’ll:
- Help us build the right thing by working with product managers, designers, fellow engineers and customers to understand problems and develop solutions
- Help us build the thing right by writing high quality, thoughtful, simple, commented, documented, tested, well-structured code aligned to our constants, principles and standards
- Drive our technical standards, decisions, and strategy
- Guide, mentor and advise other members of the team
- Continually learn and improve yourself. Experiment and play with new technologies through your work, extracurriculars and hackathons
- Help reduce friction and eliminate impediments that slow us down
- Promote hx in the community by contributing to open source projects, writing on our blog and/or presenting at virtual meetups/conferences
In your first week you’ll:
- Meet everyone at our weekly company breakfast
- Get set up, get to know hx and your team
- Start learning our ways of working
- Attend your first hx Engineering Forum, where we discuss and debate all things tech
- Wrap the week at our all hands Show + Tell
Within your first month you’ll:
- Know our ways of working inside-out
- Be adding value by developing features and fixing bugs
- Be reviewing code against our constants, principles and standards
- Add your voice to our design/ideation sessions
Within three months you’ll be:
- Delivering major features from ideation through development to production
- Helping us make hard decisions, and improving our standards and ways of working
- Guiding, mentoring and advising other members of the team
Who are we looking for?
You should apply if you:
- Love everything you’ve read so far
- Have significant experience using Kotlin (or Java) to build and operate cloud-native applications at scale from design to production
- Have a good working knowledge of fundamental computer science and software engineering principles (algorithms, data structures, complexity, design patterns, architecture)
- Value our values (excellence, initiative, passion, kindness, thoughtfulness) as much as we do
You should definitely apply if you:
- Have experience with any of our other technologies (i.e you’re T-shaped or ’full stack’) and/or technologies equivalent, adjacent or complimentary to ours
- Love science, technology, engineering and/or mathematics
- You have experience with insurance or insurtech
- You like any, many, or all of the following: stroopwafels, meditation, yoga, weightlifting, competition shooting, Japanese music, motorcycles, classic flash games, surfing, curry, golf, CTFs, dogs or running
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary + very staff-friendly EMI share options
- £5,000 annual learning & development allowance
- 33 days annual leave (inc. public holidays)
- £250 gadget-for-the-office budget (on hiatus due to Covid)
- Top-spec equipment (laptop, wireless keyboards, screens, etc)
- Huge opportunity for personal development and mastery as we grow together
- Regular remote hackathons, lunch & learns, socials and games nights
- Team breakfasts and lunches, snacks, drinks fridge, socials, fun office @ The Ministry
- Annual team trip somewhere warm (sadly on hold due to COVID19)
hx is different and so is our hiring process. We want to see you at your best, so we let you customise the major stages – essentially a “choose your own adventure” hiring process that adapts to your individuality.
- Initial call with our Talent team to kick things off
- Introductory call with your future manager (with your choice of questions)
- Technical assessment with your future colleagues (with your choice of format)
- Meet the team (with your choice of who) + Meet the CTO + Meet the CEO
- We offer!
Diversity @ hx
We are committed to diversity and equal opportunity. We’re a smart and kind team who believes that the more inclusive we are, the better our work and culture is. We are not yet where we want to be in terms of balance, but it is our mission to build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and we are working hard towards that goal.
If you like the sound of this role but you’re not totally sure whether you’re the right fit – please apply anyway and we’ll let you know either way. Remember: you miss every shot you don’t take!
PS - Check out our blog at https://www.hyperexponential.com/blog Apply now