This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced, industry-leading organisation in a growing data function to help support business growth. We are looking for an Senior Data Engineer to join the data team to help develop and further shape the analytics infrastructure to allow data and insight to be brought to heart of every decision within Modulr.
As the head of data engineering team you will also be involved in recruiting & mentoring data engineers – developing the next generation of talented data professionals – whilst also helping shape engineering standards across the organisation. Whilst we look for strong technical abilities, we also look for curious individuals that have real a passion for data and analytics, that have a desire to learn, who want to help the business use data and insight better when they make decisions.
- Modulr is ranked 42 in Deloittes Fastest 50 in 2021.
- Modulr ranked 18 on LinkedIn’s 2019 Top Startups List in UK.
- Named an official Best Workplace by Great Places to Work in 2020.
- Ranked as the second fastest growing tech company in the UK by Dun & Bradstreet .
- Awarded £10 million from the BCR Fund to further develop our innovative product.
- Recently received £9m in funding from PayPal Ventures.
- Five years old, Modulr has offices in London, Edinburgh, Dublin and Amsterdam.
- We have processed over 80m transactions to date with a value in excess of £50 billion of business payments.
- We are multi-award winning and want to keep creating a world class product.
- Most recently won ‘Best Initiative from an SME’ category at the Card and Payments Awards.
Modulr is a fintech scale-up that is breaking new ground within the payments sector. We are in a digital age when businesses need to move money 24/7 instead of operating within regular banking hours. Companies are under mounting pressure to manage their cashflow, control their costs, comply with regulations and handle complex supplier, customer and employment payment arrangements. Modulr develops cutting-edge API-first solutions that enable businesses to overcome these challenges and take control of their money.
The role will be working closely with the Data Team in Modulr to develop scalable analytics architecture to meet the growing analytical demands of the organisation – from developing simple data pipelines, ensuring we have the most appropriate analytics tooling, to embedding ML Ops practices to address specific business challenges. You will work with the Director of Product Data to further develop the data strategy for the organisation, with a strong focus on security and scalability.
You will be a technical guru, acting as the design lead for the team, and advising the wider leadership & operational areas on data architecture, challenging where needed and having the knowledge and communication skills to influence and to defend decisions made.
You will evaluate the emerging technologies, have a fail fast mentality to assess how these new cloud technologies would advance Modulr’s activities.
The key tasks of your role will include:
- Own and develop the analytics infrastructure roadmap – working with Director of Product Data and a variety of stakeholders across the organisation to understand requirements.
- Ensure our platform meets the required data security and governance standards required for best in class EMI.
- Act as advisor in organisation on good data architecture practices – to link in with wider data governance programs.
- Keep abreast of cutting-edge developments in data infrastructure that can be applied to Modulr and work with senior stakeholders to turn into reality where appropriate.
- Help to promote use of analytics across the organisation – through a variety of activities from hackathons, knowledge share.
- Help the central infrastructure team develop the engineering standards across the wider organisation.
- Management of data engineers – both managing their delivery and from a skills development point of view.
- Help to promote Modulr in wider data science & data engineering community – establishing Modulr as the destination for data engineers and data scientists as part of their career journeys in FinTech.
About You: To join us as a Senior Data Engineer, you’ll need:
- Be passionate about how data and analytics can make a change and be willing to drive that message in a growing company
- You have an inquisitive mind and proactive approach to problem solving and issue resolution.
- You enjoy group work and working independently in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment, and are willing to take ownership and responsibility of key business processes.
- You love rolling up your sleeves and doing whatever’s required to achieve the goals of the team and wider business.
- You’re structured and organised, able to handle the competing pressures of immediate tasks and alongside longer-term projects.
- You’re comfortable working in an early-stage business, where time is critical, and things change frequently.
- Both an eye for the fine detail and ability to look at the wider business context and spot opportunities for change.
- Excellent communication skills – empathetic listener to be able to translate business challenges into data challenges, and skilled at explaining complex solutions back out to the business in digestible format to help promote/popularise analytics and break down perceived barriers.
- You have managed a small team previously or have been involved with mentorship programs.
- Have at least 8+ years of experience in data engineering roles.
- Understands the principles of IAAS and infrastructure as code.
- Experience with both CI/CD and Dev ops practices.
- Experience in multiple and emerging technologies supporting BI, Analytics/Data Science and ML Ops - ETL/ELT, lakehouse design, Spark.
- Strong understanding of platform security, data protection and information security principles.
- Practical experience of data governance & data cataloguing.
- Preferable experience: Real Time Data Flows – Kafka, Data Science tooling (e.g. EMR, Jupyter, R-Studio). Machine Learning AI Agile methodologies, Graph DB.
In addition to a market leading salary, we offer the following benefits:
Modulr offers highly competitive salary and benefits packages; our employees enjoy the benefits of flexible working. The office is modern, with lots of natural light and has break out areas. Importantly, our work is challenging and interesting, you will gain valuable experience in a rapidly scaling business at an important phase of growth while contributing to our collaborative culture.
- Flexible benefits.
- 34 days holiday.
- Training allowance.
- Opportunities for career development.
- Flexible working