To reimagine technology to transform analytical decision-making, helping our customers make smarter decisions faster.
Who we are
The most interesting scaleup you haven’t yet heard of! Our product, Renew, lets users build and iterate complex mathematical models with the small, sparse and fragmented datasets that are used to drive critical decisions in many businesses. Such models are used to help answer questions like:
This sort of analysis has recently been neglected in favour of big data/analytics, but we are on a mission to change this. Our product has applications across multiple industries – we are focusing on speciality insurance to start with, but we believe our software has far further reach (including beyond the financial sector).
What will you do?
2022 is going to be a big year for hx. Our profile is growing rapidly, and our customer base with it. We have tonnes of exciting features to develop, and we want to deliver more of them in parallel, sooner, safer, than we've ever done before. To make sure we're set for the future we're going to be looking at all our systems, refreshing most of them and reworking the rest to get us ready for anything.
It's a deeply exciting prospect for us, and you could be part of it!
As a Senior Engineer you’ll:
- Help us build the right thing by working with product managers, designers, fellow engineers and customers to understand problems and develop solutions
- Help us build the thing right by writing high quality, thoughtful, simple, commented, documented, tested, well-structured code aligned to our constants, principles and standards
- Drive our technical standards, decisions, and strategy
- Guide, mentor and advise other members of the team
- Continually learn and improve yourself. Experiment and play with new technologies through your work, extracurriculars and hackathons
- Help reduce friction and eliminate impediments that slow us down
- Promote hx in the community by contributing to open source projects, writing on our blog and/or presenting at virtual meetups/conferences
- Within your first month:
- You will work your way (with plenty of help) through the first stages of our incredibly thorough on-boarding process
- You’re going to be working with some amazing people, both within Product Engineering and the rest of hx - so meeting and getting to know your fellow hxers is high on your list
- We’re always improving how we do things, not least our development process, so getting up to speed with this will help you kick start
- Take off - have your first changes committed and deployed to at least our development environment
- Within your first two months, you will have:
- Been involved in ideating solutions for upcoming work - we get engineers involved in the process as soon as possible
- Written your first blog post - we’re pretty sure that almost every day you’ll solve something in a way that others will find interesting - and we share that
- Worked with your manager to lay our your personal development plan for the next twelve months. Developing you as a person is very important to hx (and we need to make sure you have a plan to use the amazing training budget you’ll get!)
- Within three months you will have:
- With your team, delivered on a substantial piece of work - engineers at hx are responsible for how things are designed and implemented - you’ll work through this process from end to end, with your team.
- Enrolled in a course at hx University - building on how important your growth is to us, we want you to make use all the resources available to you, and hx University is a great place to start
- Delivered your first "Brown bag" lesson - share what you know - if you have knowledge to share that you think will be of interest to others then presenting a brown bag session is one of the best ways of sharing it
Who are we looking for?
Experience and skills
hx is far less interested in counting years over evidence of delivery, and our requirements reflect this.
- Have experience using at least one of Kotlin, Golang, Python or Rust.
- Built (and possibly operated) cloud applications (at scale is a plus).
- Have a demonstrably good working knowledge of fundamental computer science and software engineering principles (algorithms, data structures, complexity, design patterns, architecture).
- Have experience of a complete product development lifecycle (conception through to delivery).
- Value our values (excellence, initiative, passion, kindness, thoughtfulness) as much as we do.
- Love science, technology, engineering and/or mathematics.
You will be a fit for this role if you can show clear evidence that you:
- Are that fantastic blend of curious, smart and kind
- Are always working to improve how you do things
- Are a technologist at heart and will never stop learning new things.
- Care about technical quality and about the people in your team
- Are value (customer) obsessed
- Competitive salary + very staff-friendly EMI share options
- £5,000 annual learning & development allowance
- Private healthcare (inc. dental) insurance through Vitality
- Enhanced pension scheme through Penfold
- 33 days annual leave (inc. public holidays)
- Top-spec equipment (laptop, mechanical keyboards, screens, etc)
- Regular remote hackathons, lunch & learns, socials and games nights
- Team breakfasts and lunches, snacks, drinks fridge, fun office @ The Ministry
- Huge opportunity for personal development and mastery as we grow together
- Annual team trip somewhere warm!
hx is different and so is our hiring process. We want to see you at your best, so we let you customise the major stages – essentially a “choose your own adventure” hiring process that adapts to your individuality.
- Introductory call with your future manager (with your choice of questions)
- Technical assessment with your future colleagues (with your choice of format)
- Meet the VP Engineering
- We offer!
Diversity @ hx
We are committed to diversity and equal opportunity. We’re a smart and kind team who believes that the more inclusive we are, the better our work and culture is. We are not yet where we want to be in terms of balance, but it is our mission to build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and we are working hard towards that goal.
If you like the sound of this role but you’re not totally sure whether you’re the right fit – please apply anyway and we’ll let you know either way. Remember: you miss every shot you don’t take! Apply now