About the role
Goodlord’s mission is to provide the best renting experience in the world and we’re on the hunt for a Software Engineering Tech Lead, reporting directly to CTO, to help us achieve this.
No two days are ever the same at Goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
The day to day stuff:
Management & Leadership
- Contribute to setting clear performance objectives for the team and at the individual level in order to ensure everyone has focus and clarity on what needs to be done
- Coach and mentor more junior engineers to help them develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to further their careers
- Help the team operate more effectively through workload management, system improvements or direct assistance.
- Line manage and support a team of 4-5 engineers, you will be looking after their career aspirations, professional development and wellbeing so you should be committed to being the best leader you can be
- Work directly with Product Managers, Designers, Engineers and other stakeholders to understand end user problems
- Build and maintain features in our core platform for managing tenancy life cycles
- Evolve the application architecture to reduce technical debt and take advantage of current technological standards and best practices
- Perform self defined tasks geared towards your personal and professional development
About the team that drives our platform
We’ve created a revolutionary, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents, landlords and tenants online and process all the paperwork electronically.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We're disrupting an industry, so there's plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there'll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack. We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback. You'll be learning every day, from the team around you and senior members of the team who you'll have daily exposure to.
You should apply if you have:
- Extensive commercial experience in web application development
- Demonstrable commercial experience in building complex web applications using React and Typescript
- Experience with architecture and design taking into account both functional and non-functional requirements (such as security, scalability and performance)
- Experience working in a cross-functional agile team focused on delivering value to customers and end users.
- Line management experience (preferably in your most recent role)
- Willingness to learn new technologies and engineering practices
- Additional experience with any for the following would be hugely: Micro Frontends, GraphQL, NodeJS, Functional Programming, E2E Test automation, AWS, DevOps.
It would also be great if:
- You want to work in an environment where your input is valued and you can make a real impact
- You’re a pragmatic craftsperson who strives to find pinpoint where user value is and the right balance between quality and delivery
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You want to create an environment for the successful and efficient delivery of high quality business solutions through a combination of leading and executing.
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a scale up environment and look forward to taking them on
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord and tenant. We knew generation rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all high growth companies it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with over 2500 happy customers and exciting new products. We have ambitious plans but with William Reeve at the helm alongside co-founder Tom Mundy and a brilliant team of over 300 talented Goodlordians we are confident we’ll achieve these.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
And we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this which has led to us being accredited:
- 9th in Deloitte’s UK Technology Fast 50
- 10th Great Place to Work in the UK large-sized businesses
- 23rd Wellbeing Great Place to Work in UK Large- sized businesses
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer - Top 100 for 2022
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
Why you'll love being a Goodlordian:
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- 🚀 Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too
- 💞 Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- 🌴Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge, and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- 🤗Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- 🤩 Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable, and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment. In fact one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us. If there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come and join us!
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **
Strictly NO agencies - we have an embedded Tech Talent partner and are not looking for extra support at this time. Apply now