To reimagine technology to transform analytical decision-making, helping our customers make smarter decisions faster.
Who we are
hx is an analytical technology company that’s pushing the boundaries of data-driven decision-making in insurance. Our team does this in many ways:
- Mainly, we’ve designed and built Renew, a SaaS platform that allows actuaries and underwriters to create powerful, flexible models using modern open-source technology without the hassle of doing boring things like database admin and UI formatting
- Our team of world-class actuaries, engineers and delivery experts support our clients in doing innovative and challenging things with our platform to help them launch more useful, advanced models, faster
We are currently doing this for some of the largest, and most cutting-edge names in specialty insurance today, and our client base is growing rapidly. We are looking to scale out our Consultancy Team to do much more of this with clients, partners and the market in general – that’s where you come in!
We are looking for
The hx Consultancy team is not a typical consultancy; the technical/actuarial work we do here is quite different from most places. We don’t take on traditional “transformations” ourselves (we have brilliant partners for that) – we specialise in handling the most difficult or interesting problems for our clients, where only a combination of the very best market expertise and Renew knowledge will do. Here are some example challenges we will take on this year:
- How do we make sure our clients are first-to-market with rapidly built, world class pricing models in Renew?
- What do we need to do to plug the gaps in the open-source libraries that cater to the specialty insurance sector?
- What are the novel datasets and techniques that should be par for the course in a modern set of pricing models?
The Consultancy team works very closely with our Product/Engineering teams as well as with our clients - we see model development work as a way to "eat our own cooking" and make our product better. You'll use and help develop cutting-edge tech, and work with super-bright, driven people (both inside hx and among our data, service and insurtech partners).
However, this only scratches the surface of opportunity – hx is growing very fast and our product is being used in an increasing (and sometimes unexpected!) number of ways across the market. If you join us, it’s likely your journey will be similarly fast-paced and surprising!
- 4+ years of experience using predictive modelling and advanced analytics methods (preference would be for any exposure to insurance or reinsurance pricing techniques, but we're open to different backgrounds)
- Production grade Python experience
- Experience of working with client underwriters and actuaries to implement very loose ideas for models in any class, providing thoughtful challenge from an actuarial and technical perspective
- A desire to level up, we will do everything we can to help you get to where you want to go – we value anyone passionate about mentoring and helping their colleagues in the process
- A self-starting attitude: you enjoy managing your own time and work, within a tight-knit, high-pressure but high-support environment. You proactively drive your own personal development and stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and challenges
We highly value:
- An existing market presence, or desire to build one, to help hx support initiatives in Lloyd’s, the IFoA, or elsewhere
- The ability to promote hx’s work, e.g. by writing on our blog, presenting at (virtual) meetups/conferences, or supporting other partnerships
- Passion for experimenting with new approaches and technologies through your work, extracurriculars and hackathons
What will you do?
In your first week you’ll:
- Get set up, get to know hx and your team
- Meet everyone at our weekly company breakfast and attend daily stand-ups
- Get started on the Renew platform and ship your first models independently within days
- Review our existing Python model development approach and start contributing to our best-practice guides
Within your first month you’ll:
- Have direct responsibility for your delivery to client projects, managing your own deadlines
- Be working directly with customer actuarial teams, developers at our partners and our internal development teams in solving their hardest coding problems in Python and beyond
- Be consistently contributing to and improving our internal and external training & development materials
Within three months you’ll be:
- Supporting our customers in building models that are seamlessly integrated and employing cutting edge approaches
- Responsible for the day-to-day quality assurance process of in-flight client and internal projects
- Implementing and improving our model development standards and ways of working
- Actively developing and mentoring other members of the team
- Driving requirements into the Product and Engineering Teams to reflect our customers’ needs to improve the developer experience or product capabilities
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary + very staff-friendly EMI share options
- £5,000 for individual and group training and conference budget
- 25 days’ holiday plus 8 bank holiday days (33 in total)
- Company pension scheme via Penfold
- Mental health and therapy provision via Spectrum.life
- Individual wellbeing allowance via Juno
- Private healthcare insurance through Vitality
- Top-spec equipment (laptop, screens, mechanical keyboards, etc)
- Regular remote hackathons, lunch & learns, socials and games nights
- Team breakfasts and lunches, snacks, drinks fridge, fun office @ The Ministry
- Annual team trip somewhere warm
- Huge opportunity for personal development and mastery as we grow together!