Are you curious, excited by experimentation and always looking for a better way of doing things?
Do you want to keep learning and developing whilst getting hands-on, payment-building experience?
Do you want to have the opportunity to be play an important role driving Modulr’s overall quality practices within the team’s technical deliverables?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We're looking for an experienced, creative and curious Technical Lead to join Modulr’s innovation lab, ModLabs. A rare opportunity to join a scaling FinTech and an innovation lab where the possibilities and potential are truly in your hands to nurture and grow!
At Modulr our mission is to move money efficiently to power business productivity. We are building a new digital payments service to make money flow more efficiently through businesses and the economy. This is a new type of payments account that is built for businesses that need faster, easier and more reliable ways to move money.
Our flexible platform and innovate approach allows our customers to utilise our payments account instead of a traditional bank account. Our accounts come with a sort code and account number, access to payment systems (eg Faster Payments and Visa) and everything our customers need from a payments account. They can instantly open as many accounts as they need, automate how they make and receive payments as well as the reconciliation processes these create. All in real time, 24/7 through their own systems utilising our API that integrates into any platform.
Our founding team has a wealth of experience in the payments industry and growing successful businesses. Modulr is backed by payments giants PayPal Ventures and FIS Ventures, as well as startup and scale up specialists Blenheim Chalcot, General Atlantic, Frog and Highland Europe which enables us to leverage their resources and expertise to drive our growth initiatives. These partnerships provide us with the necessary provisions to propel our business to new heights.
- Building the extraordinary and going that extra mile
- Owning the opportunity, be passionate and proud of the time you invest
- Move at pace, reach your goals faster with us supporting you each step of the way
- Achieve it together, working as a team and being Modulite
Who are ModLabs?
We are Modulr’s innovation lab! We were launched to keep us growing and ahead of the curve, and to discover new opportunities for Modulr. We do this by being free to experiment with new ideas, co-designing with our community and tinker with the platform.
What’s our stack?
We’re a Java house with an Angular front end and work with PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, Git, Docker and AWS, though we’ll use whatever tech we need to for our current experiment – for example, we’ve used Node.js, Ansible, React and Solidity in previous experiments.
- Proactively lead the technical excellence of a team of Full Stack Labbers, responsible for the delivery of quality proofs of concept, establishing a technical vision for the team and facilitating technical discussions and arbitrating technical decisions.
- Collaborate closely with the Senior Product Manager for Innovation, our Chief Technology Officer and Chief Strategy Officer, to understand and input into business priorities when choosing which experiments we conduct.
- Work together with a talented bunch of cross-functional Labbers to discover game-changing ideas and build proofs to validate them.
- Be responsible for full-stack solution designs for your experiments.
- Contribute to and shape the backlog of ideas and each experiment you take on.
- Lead the development and delivery of full-stack experiments.
We’re looking for an inspired, aspirational and talented Technical Lead with experience in Java and front-end technologies such as Angular or React, or the aptitude and willingness to learn new skills. You’ve also got rich and demonstrable experience in microservices and working with and designing REST APIs.
We look after our own deployments so experience in DevOps tools and processes is a bonus – or being curious and willing to learn new things.
We’re looking for creative and curious thinkers; collaborative and cooperative team-players; empathetic problem-solvers; and enthusiasts who are interested in the tech and the industry and follow trends to consider their impacts and future potential.
- know how to engage, coach and support a team through individual and collective challenges,
- can lead with empathy while ensuring both business and individual objectives are met,
- have an eye for detail and seek quality in everything you do,
- have excellent organisational skills, enabling you to expertly plan deliveries,
- are equally as comfortable designing solutions before implementing as you are with getting stuck into the code and building something from nothing from a few ideas,
- are naturally curious, and are able to demonstrate learning technologies which are still in their infancy and understanding where best to use them in your applications, and
- are comfortable delegating when necessary, taking into consideration the skill set and experience levels of your engineers.
What can Modulr offer you
You’ll be part of a cross disciplinary team(s), some might be in Edinburgh, London, or Amsterdam. We are friendly and sociable, challenging but rewarding. We want you to push yourself and for us to support you in your future as we scale up and grow. Our culture and values are putting you first and are about investing in your future.
- Share Options Incentive Scheme
- Company Bonus - the more successful we are together, the more company bonus we offer
- Enhanced Pension
- Flexible benefits - £1000 to spend on a variety of benefits for you to choose from which suit your lifestyle and needs
- Perkbox - enjoy freebies and discounts on many other products and services
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays) + your birthday off - choose which days you take off to relax and/or spend time with loved ones
- Learning Opportunities – on joining Modulr you will embark on our 3-day onboarding programme to be equipped with the Modulr know-how and arm you with the tools you need to be successful from day 1! But, we don’t want your learning to stop there so we will continue to provide you with the tools and capabilities through our learning channels and platforms to allow you to grow and develop in Modulr.
- Modulr hands-on - join your colleagues for our company wide events throughout the year.
- Great workspace - Modulr thrives on innovation which is best done through in-person collaboration. This approach enables us to work together closely, exchange ideas, and create innovative solutions that drive our success. We have state of the art offices located in WeWork in Edinburgh, ScaleSpace in London, and WeWork in Amsterdam.
We believe that by seeing Modulr, and the world, from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all. We want you to know that the things that make you, you — like your identity, age, ability, and background — are things that we will always celebrate and support with open arms. As such, we are keen to maximise the diversity of our workforce and actively encourage applications from anyone and everyone.Apply now