ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (250+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 12 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
We are looking for a Business Development Manager Climate Insurance who would help us expand in France, develop our network of corporate brokers and nurture our relationship with risk carriers. The position reports to our Chief Revenue Officer.
This role embraces several missions, among them :
- Interact with corporate insurance and reinsurance brokers on a daily basis to fill out a strong deal pipeline;
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth underwriting & claim settlement;
- Create and maintain a positive & trust-based relationship with brokers and clients to develop the portfolio and to secure renewals;
- Promote Descartes Underwriting as a center of excellence for product innovation and climate risk modelling.
- Contribute to the operational ramp-up of Descartes’ Hub;
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate effectively with Data Science, Underwriting, Marketing, Operations and Business Development teams to meet business objectives;
- Develop and promote an inclusive and multicultural environment.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3-7 years of experience in the P&C insurance market, ideally as :
- a Business Developer, an Account Executive, a Property Cat or Construction underwriter in a Corporate Insurance Company;
- or a Property Cat broker or an Account Executive in a Corporate Broking Company;
- Ideally working experience in a multicultural environment (we are 25+ nationalities within the Descartes’ team in 2023);
- Solid understanding of the French insurance market and its specificities.
- Fluency in French and English (written and verbal communication) is required;
- Good command of one additional language is valued;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong analytical capabilities and business acumen.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and execution focused;
- Autonomous and curious, you are able to work in a dynamic and multicultural environment;
- Excellent team player, your interpersonal and communication skills enable you to be a force of proposal and interact with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Willingness to travel across France as necessary.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING ?
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Participate in continuous training and development;
- Be part of an international team;
- Work in an environment which encourages innovations, new ideas and contributes to change the way insurance is done;
- Benefit from a flexible work from home policy.
HOW TO APPLY ?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes ? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.Apply now