Alkemics is a B2B business platform enabling retailers to discover, negotiate and launch new products from their 1000+ suppliers.
In Europe alone, millions of products are launched every year, each with up to 500 attributes and made by one of 300,000+ manufacturers. Prior to Alkemics, establishing a commercial relationship required numerous back-and-forths between retailers and brands, physically (in trade shows, for instance) or pseudo-digitally (fax, email, XLS templates...) and between various teams (procurement, category management, quality, CSR, e-commerce, marketing...). Because of this painful process, it often took more than 60 days to launch a product. This situation is unsustainable at a time where consumers are demanding a broader product choice, more local products, where Amazon and Alibaba are raising the bar of omnichannel efficiency, and at a time where Lidl and Aldi are setting a standard for productivity.
Alkemics disrupted the space with a fully digital platform where brands create and share their product catalog. Retailers can explore those catalogs and run business workflows, searches or reportings to select, negotiate and list those products in their assortment. Once a retailer is on-boarded, invites are sent to that retailer’s suppliers to join the platform on a freemium basis, enabling quick network growth.
Alkemics was founded in Paris in 2012. With 98 out of the top 100 CPG manufacturers (Nestlé, Unilever, L’Oréal), the 7 largest retailers in France (E. Leclerc, Carrefour, Casino, Auchan, U-Enseigne, Cora, Metro…) and 4 of the largest UK retailers (Tesco, Ocado, Waitrose, Sainsbury) using the platform, Alkemics now holds a very strong and unchallenged position in the French and UK market. The business is now expanding internationally, starting with DACH and BENELUX. Along with international growth, the focus of the business is to leverage its platform and client relationships to build an end-to-end B2B marketplace with the ultimate vision of ordering directly within the platform.
Alkemics raised a total of $50M from tier-1 investors Index Ventures, Partech Ventures, Serena Capital and Cathay Innovation. Its latest funding round took place in April 2020, bringing in Highland Europe, a leading Growth VC. The business is made of 100 employees and is growing extremely rapidly.
Online marketplaces are now commonplace for C2C and B2C markets. This trend has started in B2B sectors too, driving tremendous value and economies of scale. Today, thanks to a captive user base, Alkemics is in a strong position to “platformize” the notoriously difficult retail space. Brands are keen to have their products discovered in a more efficient and elegant way. Retailers are interested in negotiating products more quickly. Brands also want to better control the product introductions within each store.
- Building the Product Exchange Platform, enabling the collection, normalisation and distribution of smart product data
- Working closely with stakeholders (customers, developers, project managers, BI, Sales, UX/UI) to collect technical and business needs
- Driving the product vision: collaboratively defining the product roadmap, data driven KPIs, and objectives
- Identifying intermediate versions of the product to be able to deliver iteratively
- Defining the product backlog: creating Epics and User Stories, and collaborating with the team on the story’s definition of DONE
- Adjusting and splitting sprint planning stories depending on technical constraints
- Performing UAT, and following up on quality metrics
- Collecting feedback based on analytics and KPIs to continuously improve the product and boost KPIs
- 3-5 years experience in building successful software products.
- A background of product manager in a B2B software company, where you are used to working autonomously with complex sets of clients is a must.
- Demonstrated use of data to solve business problems.
- Understanding the technical architecture of complex and highly scalable solutions.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills.
- BS/MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Stats, or equivalent experience.
- Deep Internet business knowledge, especially with collaborative platforms
- Capability of understanding, articulating and prioritizing the business value of tasks
- Ability to work as a Product Owner in Agile mode and embracing the Agile principles
- Fluency in English and French
- Knowledge of API workflows and GS1 ecosystem are a plus !
What you’ll get from us ?
- A true startup experience in one of the fastest growing startup in Paris: no bureaucracy and daily successes that have a real impact on the business
- You will participate to the team’s growth and the revolution of the CPG industry
- A fast-learning curve with growing responsibilities
- Pushing the limits: use semantic analysis, ontologies, big data and machine learning to solve complex problems in the CPG industry.
- Working with dynamic, smart and passionate people