We are an engineering-led technology scale-up applying complex computer science techniques to change the way risk is determined within insurance, through our SaaS platform, Renew.
Renew has been carefully engineered to let users build and deploy mathematical models that can then harness complex data sets to drive better decision making in insurance.
To use a real-world example of how this has been applied - one client used Renew to price insurance for a Space X launch, wrangling all manner of weird and wonderful data to predict the risk/likelihood of every possible outcome, from arrival at the launchpad to breaking through each layer of earth's atmosphere, to a safe return home, and every potential obstacle along the way - including space debris!
After only four years we have a client-base ranging from niche specialty insurers up to some of the largest enterprise insurers globally - each with thousands of users. We achieved profitability after just three years, but given the opportunity we have to further disrupt the market and establish ourselves as the go-to modelling software/platform that can be used far beyond just insurance, we raised a Series A fundraise with Highland Europe in early 2021 to help us scale from 50 to 100 and achieve this goal!
Product Engineering at hx
Our engineering department is a melting pot of some of the brightest (and kindest!) engineers in the industry. The level of complexity of Renew requires a highly technical, true engineering mindset so an output of this is a deeply creative, innovative environment where we push technological boundaries, both through our work and our regular (and sometimes irregular!) hackathons.
As a software engineer you will be a critical part of delivering the next iterations of Renew, feeding into the designs and executing on the solutions you and your team come up with. At the same time, as we continue to scale, our processes and ways of working need to do the same, so you will help decide how you work and what you work on.
As a Software Engineer you’ll:
- Help us build the right thing by working with product managers, designers, fellow engineers and customers to understand problems and develop solutions
- Help us build the thing right by writing high quality, thoughtful, simple, commented, documented, tested, well-structured code aligned to our constants, principles and standards
- Drive our technical standards, decisions, and strategy
- Continually learn and improve yourself. Experiment and play with new technologies through your work and hackathons
- Help reduce friction and eliminate impediments that slow us down
- Promote hx in the community by contributing to open source projects, writing on our blog and/or presenting at virtual meetups/conferences
Why is this role special?
- You will be an early member of a frontend team that will scale by 15+ people over the next 12-18 months
- You will encounter Hard* engineering challenges and will make critical, load-bearing decisions that will shape the future of hx
- You will have a direct, tangible impact on the entire future of a post-Series A scaleup*capital ‘H’ intentional – we do some cool stuff you won’t see elsewhere
- You will learn from some of the best engineers in the industry through our regular brown bags or hx University courses.
You will be a fit for this role if you can show clear evidence that you:
- Are that fantastic blend of curious, smart and kind
- Are always working to improve how you do things
- Are a technologist at heart and will never stop learning new things.
- Care about technical quality and about the people in your team
- Are value (customer) obsessed
Experience and skills
hx is far less interested in counting years over evidence of delivery, and our requirements reflect this.
You will need:
- A working knowledge of React and TypeScript
- A passion for good, clean, elegant code
- Modern Frontend tooling (npm, yarn, Webpack, Create React App, Babel, PostCSS, esLint etc)
- (X)HTML, HTML5, CSS3 (ideally with Flexbox)
- Good knowledge of fundamental Computer Science and Software Engineering principles (Algorithms, Data Structures, Complexity, Design Patterns, Architecture)
- A general understanding of modern software development/deployment principles:
- Version control (Git)
We additionally appreciate:
- Modular CSS methodologies and styled components
- Experience in building custom components to visual complex data
- A ‘DevOps’ mindset – you build it, you own it
- Knowledge of adjacent and/or complimentary domains such as platform, backend, product, reliability, security and/or quality
- Community contributions through meetup/conference talks, blogs or open-source
- Prior B2B SaaS experience
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary + very team-friendly EMI share options
- £5,000 annual learning & development allowance
- Private healthcare (inc. dental) insurance through Vitality
- Enhanced pension scheme through Penfold
- 33 days annual leave (inc. public holidays)
- Top-spec equipment (laptop, mechanical keyboards, screens, etc)
- Regular remote hackathons, lunch & learns, socials and games nights
- Team breakfasts and lunches, snacks, drinks fridge, fun office @ The Ministry
- Huge opportunity for personal development and mastery as we grow together
- Annual team trip somewhere warm!
hx is different and so is our hiring process. We want to see you at your best, so we let you customise the major stages – essentially a “choose your own adventure” hiring process that adapts to your individuality.
- Initial call with our Talent team to kick things off
- Introductory call with our Head of Engineering (with your choice of questions)
- Practical skills assessment with your future colleagues
- Final interview with our VP Engineering
- We offer!
Diversity @ hx
We are committed to diversity and equal opportunity. We’re a talented and high-energy, but low-ego and kind team who believes that the more inclusive we are, the better our work and culture is. We are not yet where we want to be in terms of balance, but it is our mission to build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and we are working hard towards that goal.
Stay up to date with hx via our blog:
https://www.hyperexponential.com/blog Apply now