We are an engineering-led technology scale-up applying complex computer science techniques to change the way risk is determined within insurance, through our SaaS platform, Renew.
Renew has been carefully engineered to let users build and deploy mathematical models that can then harness complex data sets to drive better decision making in insurance.
To use a real-world example of how this has been applied - one client used Renew to price insurance for a Space X launch, wrangling all manner of weird and wonderful data to predict the risk/likelihood of every possible outcome, from arrival at the launchpad to breaking through each layer of earth's atmosphere, to a safe return home, and every potential obstacle along the way - including space debris!
What does Product mean at hx?
We are a product-led organisation, and we focus on developing products to help our customers make more intelligent decisions faster.
Hyperexponential is searching for a focused and customer obsessed Senior Technical Product Manager who will manage our complex Renew product by managing the development and delivery of a large portfolio of technical projects by understanding the sales and customer requirements, owning technical design, removing blockers, and communicating broadly with multiple functional groups and stakeholders.
Our Product Engineering function at hx is split into a small number of cross-functional teams, each responsible for a particular customer-value workstream. As we scale the number of Product Teams, we are searching for focused and customer obsessed Technical Product Managers (TPM) to lead these teams, by developing a deep understanding of our customers’ context and problems, owning the technical design of solutions to these problems, and working with their team to see the development of these features through to completion.
Renew is an unashamedly technical product, and we are looking for TPMs who are excited by the challenge of designing innovative technical solutions to our customers’ problems in an unexplored problem space.
Our Product capability is front-and-centre in our mission to help our customers make smarter decisions faster. Building Renew has so far challenged us to solve many interesting problems, including:
- Designing a powerful, flexible, composable set of UI components to allow our customers to rapidly build and iterate complex user interfaces
- Building a code-based framework for defining pricing calculations, which is easy to use for less technical users while still allowing for the development of complex models when needed
- Developing a rich web-based development environment which exposes best in class software engineering processes (such as version control, package management, testing, deployment, and hosting) to non-developers
We’ve historically solved these problems with hard work and smart thinking, but we've reached the ‘two pizza limit’ and need move from ‘zero to one’ in places and ‘one to many’ in others so we can confidently solve more problems in parallel - problems like:
- How can we help our customers safely and securely manage the ever larger datasets they need to power their models
- How do we produce a UI component toolkit for our users that looks great and works brilliantly – irrespective of the weird and wonderful ways they’re assembled
- How do we safely move to a progressively more agile and swift delivery model in an industry traditionally resistant to the pace associated with SaaS?
The position represents a rare opportunity to be a part of a fast-growing business and help shape the technology and product as we grow. You will be playing a crucial role by developing the next generation SAAS platform for our customers. You will become an expert in Renew platform and will be responsible for architecting (supported by the engineers in the team) the frameworks our customers use to build their models.
As a Senior Technical Product Manager you will:
- Understand and represent our users’ needs - creating personas and mapping user journeys to our flagship product, Renew
- Understand problems and opportunities through data, user research, competitor analysis running experiments and interactions with the business
- Deliver against a wider product vision, strategy and roadmap - executing with a dedicated cross-functional end-to-end ‘product engineering’ team
- Plan how best to approach delivering maximum impact both within the sprint and over the longer term using the resources available
- Co-ordinate across customers and hx to deliver from idea to implementation to launch - communicating the value to our users throughout the process
- Manage your backlog, balancing strategic, customer and internal work
- Work iteratively, using data to assess and refine your decisions
- Be responsible for the overall user experience of your domain
We are looking for:
- Proven experience working as a Product Manager (5+ years) with a track record of successful product delivery in technical products (ideally at a fast-scaling B2B SaaS company)
- Experience delivering platforms that can easily scale that you have improved iteratively, ideally for a marketplace
- Experience working with the technical team, you are not afraid of getting into the technical detail
- Strong technical skills, ideally with hands-on experience in software development
- A Senior Technical Product Manager who works in a highly collaborative way with a heavy emphasis on teamwork and leading through influence; you empower teams to deliver the best solutions to problems and opportunities
- A clear communicator who can articulate a clear and compelling vision and get people across the organisation to buy into that vision and approach
- A leader who is data and insights driven and used to synthesising user research and analytics to decide an approach and get buy in from the team and stakeholders
- A Senior Product Manager who is results-oriented and rigorous about measuring impact
We additionally appreciate:
- Knowledge and experience of fundamental CS/software engineering principles, including algorithms, data structures, complexity, testing, design patterns and/or architecture
- Community contributions through meetup/conference talks, blogs or open-source Insurtech or fintech experience
hx is different and so is our hiring process. We want to see you at your best, so we let you customise the major stages – essentially a “choose your own adventure” hiring process that adapts to your individuality.
- Initial call with our Talent team to kick things off
- Introductory call with your future manager (with your choice of questions)
- Practical skills assessment with your future colleagues
- Meet the team
- We offer!
What we offer?
- Competitive salary + very team-friendly EMI share options
- £5,000 annual learning & development allowance
- Private healthcare (inc. dental) insurance through Vitality
- Enhanced pension scheme through Penfold
- 33 days annual leave (inc. public holidays)
- Top-spec equipment (laptop, mechanical keyboards, screens, etc)
- Regular remote hackathons, lunch & learns, socials and games nights
- Team breakfasts and lunches, snacks, drinks fridge, fun office @ The Ministry
- Huge opportunity for personal development and mastery as we grow together
- Annual team trip somewhere warm!
Diversity @ hx
We are committed to diversity and equal opportunity. We’re a talented and high-energy, but low-ego and kind team who believes that the more inclusive we are, the better our work and culture is. We are not yet where we want to be in terms of balance, but it is our mission to build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and we are working hard towards that goal.