The Head of Platform is responsible for ensuring our squads are enabled to securely, effectively and efficiently build, and run, their services. This role is the nucleus of driving a DevOps culture throughout the engineering community and will also be responsible for the continuous improvement of the Incident Management Process. You will need a track record of developing teams and having deep domain experience in your technology career. You will primarily be a leader of leaders for the Platform Engineering team but will work cross-functionally with Security, QA & Engineering delivery teams. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a high-growth environment with a fast-paced and collaborative culture where you will have great opportunities to work on varied problems.
Modulr is a fintech scale-up that is breaking new ground within the payments sector. We are in a digital age when businesses need to move money 24/7 instead of operating within regular banking hours. Companies are under mounting pressure to manage their cashflow, control their costs, comply with regulations, and handle complex supplier, customer and employment payment arrangements. Modulr develops cutting-edge API-first solutions that enable businesses to overcome these challenges and take control of their money.
As an organisation we are built on the premise of 4 core values:
- Build the extraordinary
- Own the opportunity
- Make giant strides
- Achieve it together
This is The Modulr Way that helps drive what we do every day.
About the role:
- Encourage, develop and coach the Platform Engineering managers to achieve success
- Proactively identify issues, bottlenecks, gaps, or other areas of concerns or opportunities and work to either directly affect change, or advocate for that change
- Accountable for continuously improving the DevOps/SRE culture across the engineering function
- Drive the use of metrics for data-based judgements to enable simpler prioritisation of problem statements to solve
- Ensure that there is continuous improvement and monitoring of team processes and delivery effectiveness
- Monitor, maintain and review the cost effectiveness of the suppliers of our Platform tooling (especially AWS & Datadog costing)
- Oversee the technical incident management process seeking and supervising regular process and tooling improvements
Interpersonal Requirements – To ensure you will be comfortable overseeing and coaching others
- Clear and responsive communication
- Proven to achieve success via coaching and development rather than command and control
- Able to clearly communicate problem statements and desired outcomes.
- Ability to deep dive into technical problems and customer led problems
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, appropriate judgement skills
- Track record of coaching and developing those around you
- Ability to adapt your management style when required
- Commitment to collaboration and teamwork
- You are a self-started, motivated team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment
Technical requirements – to be able to provide relevant and informed judgement / coaching
- Experience overseeing other leaders, or at least 5 years of line management experience
- Multiple years of AWS usage (management or hands on)
- Proven usage/management of logging, monitoring and alerting tools
- Familiarity of Open-source RDBMS technologies such as PostgreSQL.
- Strong understanding of DevOps practices and Highly available hosting design
- High level of understanding of Platform Security
- Deep knowledge (and war stories) from being on call.
About the interview process:
For this role you will go through the following process:
- Pre-Screen call – This will be with our talent team this usually lasts about 30 minutes and is a chance for us to learn more about you.
- First Stage – This will be an informal call with Director of Technology (DoT) to touch on elements of the role and ensure right fit before final stage
- Presentation and Panel Interview – With DoT and Platform Engineering Managers - An up to 20-minute presentation followed by 70 minutes of Q&A (30 minutes included for you to interview us as interviews should always be two-way)
- Cultural Fit – 30 minutes with the CTO to ensure team and cultural fit
About our benefits:
In addition to a highly competitive salary, our employees enjoy the benefits of flexible working. Our offices are modern, with lots of natural light and break out areas. Importantly, our work is challenging and interesting, you will gain valuable experience in a rapidly scaling business at an important phase of growth while contributing to our collaborative culture.
- Performance discretionary bonus.
- Share Option Scheme.
- Flexible benefits (includes options like Private Heathcare, Dental Care and more).
- 34 days holiday.
- 160 hours of bookable learning and development time.
- Hybrid working.
ModInclusionWe believe that by seeing Modulr, and the world, from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all. We want you to know that the things that make you, you — like your identity, age, ability, and background — are things that we will always celebrate and support with open arms.