ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (250+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 12 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
In 2023, Descartes will expand into cyber insurance and started to build an exceptional team made of data scientists, cyber and technology experts and seasoned insurers. The team will be able to fully leverage the modelling tools and expertise of the Descartes Group.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As part of our strong growth, we are looking for a Data Scientist Cyber Risk to reinforce the newly created Cyber team.
The Cyber Risk Underwriter is expected to report first to the Chief R&D Officer during the launch phase and then to the underwriting team.
Your tasks will include :
- Collaborating with the business team to understand client needs and issues
- Assess risk and model risk in collaboration with R&D team through:
- analysis of internal and external risk reports of the company in view of our underwriting guidelines;
- review of claims history and general company information;
- use of our proprietary risk models.
- Identifying, implementing and deploying:
- improvements of the current product offering;
- new statistical and machine learning methods to differentiate Descartes from its competitors.
- Participating in the development of Descartes’ technological platform;
- Taking on management responsibilities as both you and the company develop;
- Working autonomously and pragmatically to make appropriate technical decisions.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Graduated from a Engineering School ideally with a specialization in cybersecurity;
- 2 or 3 years’ experience in data science or cyber security;
- An experience as a Cyber security Consultant would be a plus;
- An experience in insurance is valued.
- Rigorous, team spirit;
- Rigorous, creative and meticulous mind;
- Good communication skills ;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Fluent in French (written and verbal communication);
- English professional.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to network and build relationships;
- Interested in cyber and technology risks modelling;
- Strong team spirit and ability to work under pressure;
- Eagerness to solve complex problems and technical challenges;
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission;
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Opportunity to work and learn with top data scientists from the most prestigious schools and research labs in France, allowing you to progress towards technical excellence;
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers;
- You can benefit from a punctual home office days.
HOW TO APPLY?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes ? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities. Apply now